http://www.makepovertyhistory.org Expressions...: Sammy's Land

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sammy's Land

Finally got my lazy bum up to blog after a long break.
For all those who don't care, i am in US now, Working from Boston.
Its been almost a month since i arrived here.
The weather's been good to me, till now.
I experienced snow yesterday for the first time in my young life. Felt good!

The city is good and so are the people.
Comments/observation time.
One thing i notice(d) is people saying "hi, how r u doing?".
That's "cool"!(A term i used to severely mock when i was in India and using it "severely" now)!
Anyways, i decided to try out a little harmless experiment - Saying "Hi, How are you?" to greet people i meet/encounter.
I made my experiment go live and i think i can safely assume that it was a success.

But, no experiment is declared a success without boring conclusions.
So, here goes...
Almost 90-95% of the Ams/Yankees/ did give a positive greeting back to me, like a smile or a "Doing good, how about you?".
Wait, there's more.
Almost 50-55% of the desis did not respond.
The look I got from them was something like "Dude, What are smiling at me for?".
desis who did respond were (are) those whom I currently work with or others who looked like they stayed here for some time now.
Why didn't the rest respond back? I have no clue.
Do we only "jell" with people we know?
I never did actually observe this back home. I think I never said "Hi" or "How are you doing?".
Hmm. Interesting.

Reasons anybody?
Is it because we are almost the world's most populous country, we don't care about people?

Maybe I (we) need this.

*The percentages might not be accurate, i didn't accurately count the number of "specimens".
I do understand that about 90% of the people who are new to US do this kind of rant! My 2 cents? Bah.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enamma sammy's land alli phull njoying aa? Old frnds nella marth bidtira?

10:41 AM  
Blogger Shiv said...

Funda!

One of reasons I can think of is lack of respect among desis for fellow desis. Most of the people always try to prove that they are better and others are inferior.

Social life is very important factor in US... but for us we are only realizing the imporantance of that now...

I lost my thought process!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home